Monday, June 2, 2014

FritzPeters.info August 2002 - May 2014

In 2002, in the midst of my research into the life and writings of Fritz Peters, I created a website. It turned into an important way to connect with others interested in Fritz Peters' work. While I am still interested in this line of research, I have broadened my interests and have now created a new space in which to explore. My sincere thanks to all who have corresponded with me about Fritz Peters; shared your stories and materials. You have made a significant contribution to what I've been able to include and what we know about this wonderful author. Although FritzPeters.info no longer exists, much of the content will be moved to this new blog in the coming months. The text of the FritzPeters.info home page as it appeared on May 31, 2014 appears below.





Fritz Peters

March 2, 1913 - December 19, 1979

American Novelist & Gurdjieff Memoirist


Hello and welcome to the only site on the web dedicated to Fritz Peters. Fritz is most well known for his memoirs covering his early years living at G. I. Gurdjieff's Institute for the Harmonious Development of Man, Le Prieure des Basse Loges, near Fontainebleau-Avon. Boyhood with Gurdjieff has become a standard text for followers of the The Work worldwide. Prior to writing these memoirs he published several novels both in the United States and in England which received a good deal of interest. Like all writers, Fritz's writing was influenced by his own life. His first novel, in fact, is based on his own experience of a VA hospital after returning from World War II.

I became aware of Mr. Peters' writing in 1988, when I picked up a paperback copy of Finistère in the Gay Literature section of a local bookstore. It was the first gay novel that I had ever read and it is a story that touched my heart and above all let me know that I was not alone. Several years later, I began to track down Fritz's other writings and loved the quality and style of his work. My interest continued to grow as I began to do research on his life, coming up with very little. The librarian in me just couldn't let it go, and FritzPeters.info was born.

This web site is my attempt to put together what I have been able to gather about Fritz Peters along with a bibliography of the source material. I hope that others around the world will find it interesting and will share their thoughts, suggestions, or information with me. Thanks for visiting.

Eric Neagle

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric,

    Wy'd you stop the site?

    Hope you're well,
    Katharine Peters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still very much interested in Fritz Peters writings but wanted to create a vehicle to explore other things as well. I'm hoping to get some more Fritz related content up soon.

      Best,
      Eric

      Delete