Monday, September 22, 2014

James Purdy (July 17, 1914-March 13, 2009)

I became aware of James Purdy’s work shortly before his death in 2009. Not knowing exactly where to begin, I decided to begin at the beginning with his collection of short stories titled, Don’t Call Me By My Right Name (subsequently published with his first novella 63: Dream Palace as Color of Darkness (New Directions, 1961)). I haven’t been so enamored with a short story collection in a very long while. Having recently picked up a copy of The Complete Short Stories of James Purdy (Liveright, 2013), I look forward to reading more of his work. Wired for Books has posted some very good interviews with Purdy conducted by Don Swaim in the 1980s.

This post originally appeared in slightly different form  on FritzPeters.info, April 18, 2009. 

No comments:

Post a Comment